1. Understand the process of becoming an informed user of your organization’s information system.
2. Understand the changing role of the information systems department
3. Differentiate between data, information, and knowledge.
4. Define and differentiate between the terms of information technology, information systems, computer-based systems and application.
5. Differentiate between information systems components, IT personnel, and it services
6. Describe the components of a computer based information system.
7. Define and explain the different types of Organizational Information Systems
8. How is Information Systems integral to our lives (or how are we dependent upon IS)?
9. How does IT Impact Organizations?
10. What are the four myths about IT Careers?
11. Know the different types of Information Technology Jobs.
12. How is IT used by Accounting? By Finance? By Marketing? By Human Resources?
1. Understand the concept of business processes, and provide examples of business processes in the functional area of an organization.
2. Differentiate between the terms business process reengineering and business process management.
3. Understand and explain the business pressures, organizational performances/responses, and IT support.
4. Understand Friedman’s 10 Flatteners.
5. Understand the three stages of Globalization and how it is changing the nature of the workforce.
6. Describe Porter’s competitive forces model and explain how IT has an impact on each one.
7. Describe Porter’s value chain model and how it identifies specific activities where they can use competitive strategies.
8. Be able to describe five strategies that companies can use to counter Porter’s competitive forces and achieve competitive advantage in their industries.
9. Describe Business-Information Technology Alignment.
10. How are all the functional areas affected by the business processes of an organization?
1. What are the four main issues in ethical framework?
3. Give an example of one type of unintentional threats to a computer system.
4. Describe the various types of software attacks.
5. Describe the issue of intellectual property protection.
6. What are some of the difficulties in protecting information resources?
7. What is the purpose of a disaster recovery plan?
8. How do IT Ethics impact Accounting? Finance? Marketing? Human Resources? Operations? MIS?
1. What are the five factors that contribute to the increasing vulnerability of information resources and be able to provide a specific example of each factor.
2. What is the difference between human error and social engineering?
3. What are the ten types of deliberate attacks?
4. What are the three risk mitigation strategies and be able to provide an example of each one.
5. Identify the three major types of controls that organizations can use to protect their information resource.
6. What is the difference between authentication and authorization?
1. Recognize the importance of data, the issues involved in managing data, and the data life cycle.
2. Describe the sources of data, and explain how data are collected.
3. Explain the advantages of the database approach, particularly normalization, primary/foreign keys, and referential integrity.
4. Explain how data warehousing operates and how it supports decision making.
5. Define data governance, and explain how it helps produce high-quality data.
6. Define knowledge, and differentiate between explicit and tacit knowledge.
7. How do all the functional areas deal with their own ‘data’ issues?
1. Define the terms computer network, and compare and contrast the major types of networks.
2. Describe the differences amount the three types of wireline communications media and discuss the main advantages/disadvantages of each type.
3. Understand the two main network protocols, Ethernet and TCP-IP
4. Differentiate between the Internet and the World Wide Web. Discuss the most common methods for accessing the Internet.
5. Identify the six major categories of network applications; provide an example of each, and how that application supports business functions.
Describe the six common types of electronic commerce.
Describe the various online services of business-to-consumer (B2C) commerce, providing specific examples of each.
Describe the three business models for business-to-business electronic commerce.
Identify the ethical and legal issues related to electronic commerce providing examples.
Define and describe what a transaction processing systems (TPS) is, its purpose, and be able to provide an example.
Define functional area information systems (FAIS), and be able to provide an example of the support they provide for each functional area of the organization.
Describe the relationship between a TPS and FAIS.
Explain the purpose of enterprise resource planning systems.
Identify four advantages and four drawbacks to implementing an ERP system.
What are the three major types of reports generated by ERP and functional area information systems?
How does IT facilitate the budgeting process?
Describe the benefits of integrated accounting software packages.
How do customer relationship management systems help organizations achieve customer intimacy?
What is the relationship between data consolidation and CRM systems?
Discuss the relationship between CRM and customer privacy.
Distinguish between operational CRM systems and analytical CRM systems.
Differentiate between customer-facing CRM applications and customer-touching CRM applications.
Explain why Web-based customer interaction centers are critical for successful CRM systems.
Why are companies so interested in e-CRM applications?
Discuss why it is difficult to justify CRM applications.
Define the term supply chain; describe the three components and the three flows of a supply chain.
Identify two major challenges in setting accurate inventory levels throughout the supply chain.
Describe three popular strategies to solve supply chain problems.
1. Describe the concepts of management, decision making, and computerized support for decision making.
2. Describe multidimensional data analysis, data mining and decision support systems applications.
3. Describe digital dashboards.
4. Describe the strategic benefits of Business Intelligence.
5. Describe how business intelligence can be used for data analysis.
6. Understand the decision making matrix.
7. How do all the functional areas utilize business intelligence?
Technology Guide One
1. Identify the major hardware components of a computer system.
2. Describe the design and function of the central processing unit.
3. Describe the main types of primary and secondary storage.
4. Distinguish between primary and secondary storage along the dimensions of speed, cost, and capacity.
5. Describe the hierarchy of computers according to power and their respective roles.
Technology Guide Two
1. Differentiate between the two major types of software.
2. Describe the general functions of the operating system.
3. Describe the major types of application software.
4. Describe the major software issues that organizations face today.
5. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of open source software.
6. Explain how software has evolved and consider trends for the future.
7. Know the different types of programming languages.
Technology Guide Five
1. Identify the various behavioral actions you can take to protect your information assets.
2. Identify the various computer-based actions you can take to protect your assets.
3. Discuss Wireless security and how to set it up.
4. Know the types of Wireless Security software.
5. What is a MAC address and what does it mean/do?